Behdad Esfahbod's daily notes on GNOME, Pango, Fedora, Persian Computing, Bob Dylan, and Dan Bern!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Ask Google.

Contact info
Google
Hacker Emblem Become a Friend of GNOME I Power Blogger
follow me on Twitter
Archives
July 2003
August 2003
October 2003
November 2003
December 2003
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
November 2004
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
November 2009
December 2009
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
October 2010
November 2010
April 2011
May 2011
August 2011
September 2011
October 2011
November 2011
November 2012
June 2013
January 2014
May 2015
Current Posts
McEs, A Hacker Life
Tuesday, February 20, 2007
 Cairo and winelib Adventures

I had some winelib adventures a few years ago when I tried to compile FarsiTeX's Windows editor on Linux. That time I admitted defeat.

This time I decided to use winelib to compile and test cairo's win32 backends on Linux. Just being able to compile that code (and that of other backends) catches silly syntax errors when I have to, say, modify a backend interface that touches all backends. I've had the same need in Pango too. So I started on Friday, with the goal of compiling, and testing the win32 backends using winelib.

It took quite a few hours, and winelib docs are at best four years old and out dated, but I finally managed to kinda find out how the thing works and got cairo's test suite running against winelib. More details here.

Kinda feel the victory this time, but would have been a lot happier if the test suite had passed almost all tests, instead of about 60%... Anyway, means more testing for cairo and that can't be bad. I also tried to raise some awareness / get some help on #winehq and #winehackers, but was mostly trolled by someone I'm not going to name.

That's all I was so excited about a few minutes ago...

Labels: , , ,

Comments:
Considering the Mozilla guys are working on a cairo base layout engine to replace the variety of layout engines they currently have, and that they use it also on Windows, they may have fixed a bunch or things (those that they need) in their local version of cairo. Asking them if they did, and what they did fix could be a good start.
 
Generally the people on the wine devel mailing list are helpful, I'm sure they'd be interested too... I've been lurking on that mailing list for about 10 years now!
 
Just read

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2007-February/009707.html

Please repost to wine-devel... it probably will help them 'fix their stuff'... there are also people on there who will probably help with some of the other issues.
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Archive
<< Home