Motivated by Andrew Cowie's Spell-checking Java source code
, I decided to give it a try on Pango. So I ended up spell-checking Pango's and cairo's documentation, fixing more than 100 typos in Pango's, and some 40 in cairo. Not bad for a three hour work.
Unlike Andrew, I didn't directly spell-check source code. What would have been too intrusive. Instead, I extracted gtk-doc blocks (and other block comments) out of source code:
$ grep '^[ /][*]' *.c > docs
, and finally diffed
and went over the changes, applying them to source code manually. For the sgml template files it was easier, just spell-checked the files directly.
The idea is to use "Add to list" as few times as possible. For example, Pango API has lots of parameter names "ink_rect" and "logical_rect". But instead of adding "rect" to the spell-check dictionary, I preferred "Ignor"ing everytime it nagged about the "rect" in "ink_rect", but it did help catch a couple places that "rect" was used in a sentence. And I replaced those with "rectangle".
Labels: cairo, documentation, gtk-doc, pango, spellcheck